The factory was founded in 1766 by the Scottish merchant Francis (Franz Yakovlevich) Gardner who settled in Russia in the village Verbilki, Dmitrov district of Moscow province. Gardner invited his first masters from the famous Meissen of Saxon. Later Russian specialists mostly worked at the plant. In addition to fulfilling orders for the Royal Court, Gardner set up a mass production of porcelain utensils. The last owner was Elizaveta Nikolaevna Gardner, who sold the factory to M.S. Kuznetsov in 1892, who successfully integrated this factory into his "Partnership for the Production of Porcelain and Earthenware Products". After the October Socialist Revolution, the factory was nationalized and since 1918 it has been called the Dmitrov Porcelain Factory.